Friday, June 1, 2007

World Blood Donor Day is 14 June

World Blood Donor Day is set by the World Health Organisation, the United Nations health agency.
The United Nations theme this year is: Safe Blood for Safe Motherhood.
Every year approximately 17% of
pregnant women in Australia require a blood product to ensure they have a healthy pregnancy. This product is only available thanks to the support of voluntary unpaid blood donors.

What happens to blood
Most people think blood donations are used to help people who suffer traumatic incidents, such as accidents or burns, or in surgery. But, in fact, the vast majority of blood donations go to people with major medical conditions such as cancer, heart disease, stomach and bowel disease, liver and kidney disease, people with haemophilia and to newborn babies and pregnant women. The blood drop diagram below provides more detail.



Did you know that 430,000 people in Australia receive a blood product each year and it is estimated that 50% of Australians will require a blood product during their lifetime?

Unfortunately I will not be making a donation on World Blood Donor Day, because I made a donation on Wednesday 30 May 2007 and have to wait 12 weeks before I can donate again. Wednesday was my third donation since November last year. I made a New Years resolution this year that I would donate blood at least 3 times in 2007. I have made 2 donations this year and I am aiming for 4.

If this blog inspires just one person to donate blood then I have achieved my goal, however that one person with one donation will have saved a life.

If you feel inspired please phone 13 14 95 for an appointment at the Australian Red Cross Blood Service or visit their website to learn more and make that appointment.

No comments: