Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Waiting ........

I applied for a promotion in mid December 2006. I actually cheated and paid a business to write my job application and prepare a resume for the cost of $220. This round of jobs was supposed to be finalised in February 2007, but some one stuffed up (as usual, and this time the ATO is blaming the recruitment agency - Manpower) in that a lot of job applications were lost during the electronic application.

I heard nothing for ages and the ATO kept posting updates saying this and that was happening, but no one heard a brass razoo about anything. Then one day I was actually talking to a colleague about the process when my mobile rang and low and behold it was a Manpower (not the strippers!!) saying I had been shortlisted for an interview. Great!! This interview was booked and to my horror it was a phone interview. I suddenly became very stressed as every interview I have been to has been in person and usually a panel.

I studied my job application and finally the day arrived. How did I go - SHOCKING! I managed to stuff up an example in true form by missing the end of the question in which the interviewer stated Give an an example of when you have used your understanding of taxation principles and practices to help a client and gave an example of a client that I referred to GST Field for a visit as he was non compliant with me. Field ended up penalising him heaps and he owed hundreds of thousands of dollars and they nailed 2 of his mates and he has done a runner. At the moment the ATO is looking at prosecuting the client, so how did this HELP the client?

I realised my error half way through my example and rather ask the interviewer the question again and start with a new example (that I was not prepared for) I kept going. Arrrgh ....... the pressure.

Anyways I am the only one in my office who has had an interview for the job, and everyone I talk to says that is encouraging. Our intranet site advised late last week that the candidates would be contacted and advised of the outcome the week commencing 21 May 2007.

Today is 23 May 2007- no word yet. I am trying to be patient, and really when you look at the fact these positions should have been announced in Feb, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

One thing I have learnt ...................... this may have been the best $220 I have spent in a while. As they say you have to spend money to make money, or was that just have money to make money?

No comments: